Psychiatric hospitals, mental institutions, asylums, psych wards—call them what you will—they’ve had a checkered history and their future seems to be at risk. Since the 1950s, deinstitutionalizing has been the practice and community based treatment centers have been the expectation. The reality? Law enforcement has had to close the gap. Institutions nationwide now hold about 35,000 patients, down from their peak of over 500,000 just 60 yea... Full Article »
Posts by Karen Solomon:
After the events that coalesced in Ferguson, Mo., late in the summer of 2014, supporters of law enforcement began an earnest effort to spotlight on the overall good done by our peace officers in order to balance the negative rhetoric that abounded on social media. Books were written, documentaries promoted, and soon social media became the tool of choice for people who believed they could open hearts and minds of those who were influenced by the ... Full Article »
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join the 125,000+ law enforcement professionals who receive the weekly Calibre newsletter filled with analysis of force encounters caught on video, training articles, product reviews, expert commentary and more.
Click here to sign up.
- What’s the State & Future of Policing? Take Calibre’s National Poll and Share Your Thoughts! September 15, 2021
- Thank God for the Heroes September 9, 2021
- Officers Respond to Confused 73-Year-Old Woman/Cop Encounter September 7, 2021
- FREE WEBINAR: Top Things Law Enforcement Leaders MUST Do Before & After an Officer Involved Shooting September 7, 2021
- Taking a Breather: Florida’s 10 Coastal Nicknames September 3, 2021